Wednesday, July 11, 2012

D.C.: On The Other Hand...

A few months ago, as part of Andrew Sullivan's "Ask Anything" series, Wired writer/blogger Spencer Ackerman had all of this to say about Beltway culture:


I try to refrain from effusive praise and don't know where to start with this, anyway, so I won't say much.  From the pointed differentiation between "Beltway culture" and "D.C. culture," to the way people from the culture--whether themselves guilty or not--are never allowed to escape the image, Ackerman gets it done nearly flawlessly (I forgive the brief sidequest into "suck my New York dick" territory as a matter of policy, because that's a disease for which science has not yet discovered a cure).  It's so satisfying and bang-on that it nearly makes me rethink my stance on D.C. Statehood

And it was apparently off the cuff.  For something that was planned out (though perhaps not as viscerally pleasing), see the excerpt from Nos Populus about Washington. 

No comments:

Post a Comment