Friday, April 13, 2012

Nos Populus excerpt, III

Here's another excerpt from Nos Populus. This time, a glimpse of James Reso at the height of his popularity: 

James walked back to center stage, grabbed the microphone, and breathed in his audience, still showering him with their adoration.  He milked the emotion for all he could, gathering their strength to him.  The more built up they were on a cold day, he figured, the better.  He wasn’t going to get far on a following of unresponsive disciples.  After a few more minutes he decided that his name and presence had gotten as far as they were likely to on their own.  He put the microphone to his mouth and screamed: “Nos Populus!”  The crowd’s volume picked up and only after he could feel them plateau did James continue, “America!”  And a new high was set as James turned to the statue behind him, “Mr. President.”  This time a small groan rose from the crowd.  “I know that one’s been done before, but I couldn’t resist.  If nothing else, it’s nice to be able to have some modicum of respect for the person you’re addressing with that title.  This is said a lot in any context, so I have some hesitation saying it at all, but… we’re coming to a turning point.  Now the problem with that being said all the time is that you keep hearing it and it never feels like a turning point because it never is.  Then when a real turning point arrives, you let it slide by and miss it because you heard ‘wolf’ one too many times.  But believe me now, a turning point is coming.”  The crowd roared its approval of James’ promise. 
“A couple hours ago I saw the sun come up and I felt something different in the air.  It was small but it was there.  A premonition of the potential for big things to come.  So I called you here to tell you about it.  Now seeing thousands of you packing in, rubbing against each other to get some warmth—and I hope nothing more, there are children here, people—I get the feeling that there may be a hell of a lot more than the potential for change.  And the best way to generate change is to set an example.  So let it be shouted throughout the land that from this moment forth, Nos Populus is going to do things a tad differently.  From now on, we’re not relying on the Democrats.”  Scattered boos answered the namedrop.  “We’re going to have our own issues, and our own candidates and we will decide what the public discourse will be!  And that begins now!”  The assembled congregation screamed yet again.  But not yet ready for his audience to boil, James paused and let them simmer.
“Now I know we all thought that that turning point was supposed to be last fall, but it didn’t happen.  While I’m here, I should probably address the ‘election.’”  Another small chorus of boos rippled forward.  “I know,” James acknowledged them.  “Believe me, I’m with you.  Now, there are those who would have you believe that in November, Americans went to their polling places and chose to ‘stay the course.’  That we said to ourselves on Election Day, ‘Gee, I really like what’s been going on the past eight years.  We’re no better off as a nation, with international threats mounting and the nation dividing further internally.  And I’m no better off as an individual, with my e-mails being read for me by government operatives and my natural human rights stripped from me as if I never cared for them in the first place.  But I really think that what my president couldn’t complete in eight years, he will if I give him four more.’  That we said, ‘I like living in a state of fear.  I like it so much that I’m too afraid to change that.’  Hear me now: we did no.  Such.  Thing!”  On cue, a roar went up from the thousands gathered around the reflecting pool. 
“We all know what happened last November; how Hornung the Liberal was decimated by the divinely-appointed President Ward.  See, the way I see it, the man who represented the Democrats on the ballot was not the man we chose.  The man we chose was a man who represented something, represented us!  But somewhere along the line Hornung lost his backbone and something always defeats nothing.  There are those who would also have you believe that Ward’s victory in November gives him a mandate to do with what he will.  That he has been entitled to certain privileges as commander in chief.  If you ask Ward himself—and he’d be just too happy to respond—he would say that those entitlements include the right to keep each American a prisoner in his own country.  That because he’s responsible for keeping people safe so he’s going to lock each one of us up in our homes and throw away the key.  ‘Don’t worry about your mail and errands, the secret police will be more than happy to take care of those for you.  Just sit back, drink the Kool-Aid, go to sleep, and come back to vote for me again in four years.’
“I think this country belongs to us!  And I think that when we’re pissed we should say something because it’s damn sure bad for you to keep that kind of thing in!  And the best person to tell would be the man in charge, no?  Tell him that we are not the Democrats, we are not Morris Hornung!  Something always defeats nothing and we’ll give them something.  I think we should make the first official act of the Nos Populus Party to do just that!  What do you think?”  The volume reached a fever pitch; the ground below them could’ve trembled and they’d never know the difference.   
“You hear that, Dennis?  You hear it, fucker?” he screeched into the microphone.  “Dust off the welcome mat, we’re coming over!”

No comments:

Post a Comment