Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Stark Knight Rises

Marvel Studios debuted the first Iron Man 3 trailer this past week. I liked it, though it's hard for me to say why. I mean, I'm seeing a grimmer tone, suggesting an emotional and tonal weight; indications that no character is safe from the stakes; a black and white/dark blue color palate; a wall-to-wall Zimmer-esque score; and a purposeful villian with a funny voice.

It seems so familiar but I just can't place where from.

While it's probably a good idea for the Iron Man franchise to return to its Nolan-aping routes after the underwhelming Iron Man 2. Marvel's carved out a very nice (and lucrative) niche for itself as the lighter, popcorn-y universe; I've written about this before. Suddenly shifting away from that--if that is what they're doing--seems unnecessary. But I applaud the ambition. Let's just hope something's not lost in the transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment