Friday, August 23, 2013

Bat-Affleck (at least it's not Nic Cage)

(via Modern Myth Media)

Okay, to be as fair as possible about this, shut up. Everyone just... shut up and let me think.

Deep breath... here we go. 

Ben Affleck really should've been behind the camera for Batman. We were denied that chance already. But by taking a promising if flawed Man of Steel franchise and throwing Batman into the mix immediately--all because Marvel has them chasing ghosts--DC/WB is already risking one unforced error. Might as well follow through.

Argo. The Town. State of Play. As stated, he's a better director than actor, but we decided that he had redeemed himself. We agreed to that as a society, didn't we? We let Matt Damon off the hook years ago. Scroll down Affleck's IMDb and realize how long its been since he deserved our derision. And by the way, Affleck is not what was wrong with Daredevil. Not that you or anyone has ever given a shit about Daredevil. He's a poor man's Batman who somehow got a movie in an era when studios still didn't know what they were doing with superhero movies. It was 2003--they were just throwing whatever they had at the screen, not really caring if it would stick. 

Maybe I'm hedging, fooling myself into believing that this won't fall flat on its face. Maybe it will, in which case, we still have the Nolan trilogy, unharmed. And here I remind myself of my reaction when Heath Ledger got Joker. Yes, it was a different (better) director who made that call, but we can't always see how these things play out.

All I know is that I'd really like to hear Affleck's Batman voice before I rule on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment