Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Or You Could Take Everyone With You

"To everyone who has ever emailed to ask me for advice on writing, my answer is: get a deadline. That's all you really need. Forget about luck. Don't fret about talent. Just pay someone larger than you to kick your knees until they fold the wrong way if you don't hand in 800 words by five o'clock. You'll be amazed at what comes out."
-- Charlie Brooker
But I use my knees every day.

Productivity's a funny thing. Too little and you feel like you've wasted a chunk of your life. Too much and you wind up tired and groggy, less capable of appreciating your production with an appropriately rested eye. It even makes weekends daunting: do I do something valuable or do I rest for the week ahead? Damned either way, aren't you? And three-day weekends do not solve the dilemma; they just give you more time in which to enact your bad choice. And don't you dare think about striking a healthy balance by doing some of both. I can see you working it out in your head right now. Just stop. Stop it immediately.

This is to say that I've started grad school. Hopefully that won't hold up productivity here too much. If I get some free time, it'll be between the wife, video games, and you lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment