Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Yeah, I'm a Little Excited


This weekend, Prometheus will take some sting out of the waiting for The Dark Knight Rises.  But it won't do anything for the fact that the summer's main event is still a little over six weeks away.  And there are posters and banners everywhere.  And the new TV ads already running.  And the sizzler reel shown at the MTV Movie Awards (which WB has already asked several sites to take down, so I won't link here) that was just... beautiful.  I didn't think anything would top this trailer.  And for sheer foreboding, it probably didn't, even if it did give us a hint of a gorgeous new Hans Zimmer score, which tells me we'll be getting plenty of stomach punches.  But it did add dashes of humor and action for those not so into heady films, and also demonstrating that this movie is going to be packed.  We've seen loads of footage and still know so little about what's going on.  How is all this going to fit in one movie? 

That's where the reveal of the run time come in--a staggering 2 hours and 45 minutes, which is at least 15 minutes longer than I thought WB would allow.  But, then, I'd watch a six-hour Batman movie, so I might not have my thumb on the pulse of the mainstream here.  And now the news that tickets will go on sale on Monday, so I'll have my ticket in less than a week's time and I'll have to keep that thing pristine for about 46 days (no, I will not wait until opening day to get my ticket--like some loser).  And I will look at that ticket every single day, perhaps occasionally caressing it gingerly, waiting for it to either let me see TDKR on July 20th or make me Batman, whichever comes first. 

One day at a time...

*Along with the news that WB/DC may actually be moving ahead on that Justice League movie.  We already knew TDKR was the end of this series, of course, but the more I hear about the future of these movies, the more I think about the implications of that.  And as I do, I'm less inclined than I was six or seven months ago to shrug off the idea that anything is possible.  Well done, Nolan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment